Personal Injury Lawyers Serving Beaufort, Bluffton, Hilton Head Island - Twenge + Twombley Fights for Victims
Whether you're visiting historic Bluffton or vacationing at Hilton Head Island, you can suddenly face a life-changing crisis and need an experienced South Carolina personal injury attorney. Catastrophic accidents happen too often throughout the Lowcountry. Injuries from car, truck and motorcycle accidents can result in significant medical bills, a loss of wages and long-term pain and suffering. In addition to motor vehicle accidents, we also handle slip and fall accidents, product liability claims and more. Any type of catastrophic accident can happen in a flash in South Carolina. The impact can be felt for years or decades. If you or somebody you care about was injured as a result of someone else's negligence, you need an attorney you can trust on your side.
Residents of South Carolina's Lowcountry know they can rely on the experienced Beaufort, SC personal injury attorneys at Twenge + Twombley to work tirelessly for them every step of the way. Our lawyers are tough negotiators and strong litigators with a track record of obtaining results for clients. Don't hesitate to contact Twenge + Twombley today. Call our Beaufort office at 866-452-631 for a free case consultation. Statutes of Limitations apply in many situations, which means you may only have a short window of time to file a personal injury claim in South Carolina. If you wait too long, you may lose your right to pursue benefits.
Types of cases we handle
Twenge + Twombley handles a wide variety of personal injury cases on behalf of injured South Carolina residents:
- Car, truck and motorcycle accidents: Most people are involved in a car accident sometime in their lives. When injuries are severe or you lose a loved one, you need to take action quickly to protect your rights.
- Premises accidents: If you slip and fall on someone's property or get injured because the property owner was negligent, it's important to hire an attorney who can protect your rights.
- Product liability cases: A household product, a motor vehicle, or a child's toy may have a manufacturing or design defect that results in serious injuries.
- Traumatic brain injuries: Brain injuries often are difficult to detect. A family member might notice someone is acting odd after an accident.
- Spinal cord injuries: If you sustain a spinal cord injury, you may have to make dramatic changes in your life. You will need a lawyer who knows how to obtain maximum compensation for your losses.
- Injuries to children: An injury to a child is heartbreaking. Our compassionate attorneys can help families get compensation and closure.
What’s required to file a personal injury claim?
In order to have a personal injury claim, you need to prove that your injuries were caused by negligence. This has four main elements:
- The defendant (responsible party) had a duty of care; that is, a legal obligation to look out for your safety.
- That duty of care was breached; that is, the person was careless or irresponsible and failed to act in a safe manner.
- The defendant’s breach of the duty of care caused your injuries.
- You suffered damages (that is, actual losses) due to the injuries.
What types of damages can I recover in a South Carolina personal injury case?
In general, there are two types of damages (financial compensation) in a personal injury claim.
- Economic damages are compensation for losses tied to a specific dollar amount, such as medical expense, lost wages, and property damage.
- Non-economic damages are compensation for more subjective (but no less real) losses, like pain and suffering, emotional distress, or loss of consortium.
If your injury was caused by reckless or egregious conduct, you may also be able to pursue punitive damages intended to send a strong message about bad behavior. The specific damages you can receive depend on the facts of your case and the applicable South Carolina statutes, so it’s always best to discuss your options with an experienced attorney.
Should I talk to the insurance company if I’m injured?
You may need to have some contact with the insurance company, but you need to proceed with extreme caution any time to you talk with any insurance company, including your own insurance company. We highly recommend that you allow your lawyer to talk with all insurance companies on your behalf. The insurance company’s financial incentive is to protect their bottom line, which means paying you as little as possible. Insurance adjusters are experts in speaking with injured victims, and frequently injured victims unintentionally say things that harm their case.
If you decide to speak with an insurance company despite this warning, choose your words carefully and stick to the facts of what happened. Get everything in writing so the insurance company can’t later feign ignorance, and absolutely do not sign anything or accept any money from the insurance company without getting your attorney’s approval first. Again, the best option is to have a lawyer deal with the insurance company on your behalf.
How much time do I have to file a personal injury claim in South Carolina?
In South Carolina, the statute of limitations (deadline to take legal action) for most personal injury cases is three years from the date of the injury. However, the specific legal deadlines that apply to your case may vary depending on the circumstances, and there are other reasons, such as securing evidence, to take action as soon as possible. Talking to a lawyer sooner rather than later will help to protect your rights.
How much does it cost to hire a personal injury lawyer?
You pay nothing up front and nothing out of pocket to hire a lawyer to handle your personal injury case. Rather, we handle these cases on a contingency fee, which means our fee is a percentage of the recovery. If you don’t obtain a recovery, you don’t owe your lawyer anything. Your lawyer will have a written fee agreement to outline the specific terms of your representation.
Contact a personal injury lawyer in Beaufort today
Twenge + Twombley has a hard-earned reputation throughout South Carolina as a small firm that delivers big results. The needs of our clients always come first, from the initial consultation through the end of the case. We handle each case personally or associate other lawyers with specific subject matter expertise. We spend time getting to know our clients. No matter how big or small your legal issue may be, our attorneys are willing to work tirelessly to build a solid, successful legal strategy on your behalf.
We work this way because we understand how high the stakes are when you’re injured. You may have decreased mobility and thus loss of independence. You may have experienced extreme pain or emotional distress. You may be looking at future medical treatment and physical limitations for the rest of your life, to say nothing of the costs of hospitalization and lost income. You’ve been hurt, and our job is to help make things right.
We’re ready to stand up for your rights. Call 866-452-6315 or fill out our online contact form to schedule a free case consultation with a Beaufort, SC personal injury attorney. We serve clients in Beaufort, Bluffton, Hilton Head Island and other communities throughout the Lowcountry of South Carolina.
Twenge + Twombley. Rare name, remarkable service.