South Carolina Personal Injury LawyersServing Beaufort, Bluffton &
Hilton Head
+ Free Consultation
+ 866-452-6315

Local + 843-476-4573

What should I do if I have a concussion from a crash?

Car accident attorneys

Concussions are often considered mild traumatic brain injuries (TBIs), yet the impact of this type of TBI can be debilitating for many people. This type of injury commonly occurs in frontal collisions, side impact crashes and rollovers.

The impact of a crash can cause the brain to bang against the inner lining of the skull, leading to damage to the brain tissue. This could result in sudden loss of consciousness, but that isn't always the case. Some people who sustain concussions in car wrecks don't realize it until days later.

Some of the most common signs of a concussion include:

  • A dazed or confused mental state
  • Blurry vision
  • Slurred speech
  • Dizziness or vertigo
  • Vomiting or feeling nauseous
  • Loss of memory
  • Headaches
  • Changes in sleep patterns
  • Mood changes

Why is it important to seek prompt medical attention after a car accident?

You should never ignore a concussion or any other TBI. In fact, you should always seek prompt medical attention after a crash, since the symptoms are often delayed. Your doctor may perform an MRI or CT scan to look for physical changes in the brain caused by your crash. If nothing can be found, yet you experience concussion symptoms, you may need to be referred to a neurologist.

A concussion could clear up on its own, but if you leave it untreated, you could be at risk of second-impact syndrome. This occurs when a second TBI occurs before the first one has healed and can lead to serious and permanent brain damage.

How are concussions treated?

According to the Mayo Clinic, concussions generally clear up within three months, but can last for more than a year.

If you sustained a concussion, you would need to avoid working or engaging in any kind of physically or mentally vigorous activity until you recover. This includes getting plenty of rest and refraining from watching too much television, playing video games, or prolonged use of cellphones and computers.

Your doctor may also prescribe you pain medication to manage the headaches. In some cases, cognitive rehabilitation, and speech and occupational therapy may be needed.

How can I get compensated for my losses related to my car accident?

A car wreck can be costly. You may experience a heap of medical costs and be unable to work and collect a paycheck until you recover. You can't count on the other driver's insurance company to compensate you. Insurance companies care more about saving money on their end than they do ensuring that your losses are covered.

The experienced South Carolina car accident attorneys at Twenge + Twombley Law Firm can handle the insurance companies and help you recover every dollar you're entitled to. We serve clients in Beaufort, Bluffton and Hilton Head, and offer free case evaluations. Contact us online to find out how we can help you.

Categories: Posts

    Free Case Consultation
    YI have read the disclaimer.