South Carolina Personal Injury LawyersServing Beaufort, Bluffton &
Hilton Head
+ Free Consultation
+ 866-452-6315

Local + 843-476-4573

Frequently Asked Questions about South Carolina Workers' Compensation Benefits

At Twenge + Twombley, our South Carolina workers' comp attorneys understand how difficult life can become after an on-the-job injury. It's not just the pain and inconvenience of a severe injury at work. The financial costs can add up quickly and drain your savings.

We know a work-related injury can leave accident victims with more questions than answers. That's why we're here. The following are some of the most frequently asked questions our firm receives about work injuries and workers' comp insurance. If you don't see your question listed, contact us today to discuss your case. Call 866-452-6315 or complete our online contact form.

Who is covered by South Carolina workers' comp laws?

Nearly every South Carolina employee is covered under the state's Workers' Compensation Act. Generally, employers with more than four part-time or full-time employees are required to provide workers' compensation insurance for their employees. Some exceptions do exist, including railroad and railway express employees, Federal employees, agricultural employees, certain real estate salespeople and corporate officers.

(back to top)

What if my employer doesn't have workers' comp insurance in S.C.?

It may be in your best interests to speak with an attorney if your employer lacks workers' compensation coverage. If you work for an employer who should have legally subscribed to workers' compensation but didn't and you were injured, contact us immediately. You may be entitled to coverage from South Carolina's uninsured employer workers' compensation fund.

(back to top)

How do I file a South Carolina workers' compensation claim?

If you've been hurt at work you must report your injury to your employer immediately and ask them to complete an incident report. Most employers require an injury claim to be reported within 24 hours. However, you legally have 90 days to report a claim. Your employer is then required to file a claim with the South Carolina Workers' Compensation Commission. If they fail to do so, you should contact an attorney immediately.

(back to top)

Should I hire an attorney if my claim is denied?

Yes. Employers have a legal right to "deny" your workers' compensation claim, subsequent medical treatment and lost wages. As an "at-will" employment state, you may even be terminated from your job. In these serious cases, you need an attorney on your side who knows how to contest denied workers' comp claims and secure the compensation you rightfully deserve.

(back to top)

How much does a workers' comp lawyer cost in South Carolina?

We work on a contingency fee basis, meaning you don't pay us until we obtain a verdict or settlement on your behalf. At Twenge + Twombley, we put the needs of our clients first. You shouldn't have to worry about how to pay for an attorney when you're dealing with a complex workers' compensation claim. Call 866-452-6315 or fill out our online contact form to schedule a free case consultation with one of our attorneys today.

(back to top)

    Free Case Consultation
    YI have read the disclaimer.